What a wonderful weekend with all my kiddos together! We laughed. We snuggled. We played. We skipped naps. We went to the zoo. We played in every toy room at St. Jude. We fussed at each other like brothers and sisters do.
We had fun as a family of five! The way it is meant to be.
Ben and the kids went home today (cue my tears), but we have a big day tomorrow to keep me occupied (and I have a dear friend visiting me too through the weekend!).
So tomorrow radiation begins. Our doctor was asking how I feel about it starting tomorrow and my first thought was, “I’m happy it’s beginning.” Wow, what I world I live in now where I’m happy with radiation. But we are. We completely trust that this is the next step for Bennett.
He will also be getting a feeding tube tomorrow while he’s sedated. Yay for nutrition, Boo that it has to go into his nose. But we do what we need to do to keep that little boy strong and healthy. So just know that future pictures of my handsome guy will include a new accessory on his face:)
So with all of these new procedures, we have new prayer requests too…
- The most common side effects with radiation are nausea and skin irritation. We are praying complete protection over his body during this. Pray that he would escape the nausea and that his skin would not be bothered by the radiation.
- Pray that the other organs near his liver are not bothered by the radiation at all.
- His liver counts have been great lately. In fact, for the first time since we’ve been at St. Jude, his biliruben has been below 1.5. But radiation can make the liver grumpy sometimes so we are praying for a happy liver!
- Pray that the radiation shrinks the tumor. I think of it like the Extreme Home Makeover show that says “Move that bus.” But instead we are all shouting, “SHRINK THAT TUMOR!”.
- Pray that he doesn’t have the urge to pull out his feeding tube. He will get it while he’s sedated for radiation tomorrow, so hopefully it won’t bother him as much. And pray that mommy quickly gets used to it coming out his nose (I’m just not sure how I will react with seeing it there.)
- Pray that we start to see his weight increase quickly. We need a healthy and strong body to fight this cancer!
- Pray that Davis and Reide adjust to being back in Lafayette and away from mommy for another few weeks.
- Pray that we find a place PRONTO to live here in Memphis. After the weekend of shuffling between two houses with all the kids, we realized we need to be under one roof (we considered keeping the Target house and another apartment). We NEED our family of five together…to enjoy breakfast with each other, snuggles at bed time and everything in between. And Bennett had so much laughter with those two here…he is not created to be an only child! I’m hoping to finalize it all by early next week.
- Pray that I stop eating all of these thin mints….seriously, it’s out of control! Can you tell my tank is a little more full because I had all of my loves here?!
So set your alarms. Sedation begins at 11am then radiation will be around 11:45am. Let’s continue to pray healing over my boy! May all those prayers go through the radiation machine and zero in right on his liver…telling that tumor that it has NO POWER.
The only power is from God alone. And that power is shielding Bennett!