We’ve had a great time getting all the kids in the same city together the last couple days and we are so grateful to all the people who helped make it happen! One of the things we wanted to make sure of was to let Davis and Reide come see St. Jude’s early one. We didn’t want this place that Mommy and Bennett are going to be spending lot of time at to be a mystery to them. There are so many things about this journey that the two of them can’t understand and so many things we do not want to burden them with. Things like the severity of his illness and the pain he may go through with different treatments are examples of what their little hearts are not ready to comprehend. So instead we having been praying and asking God to give us ideas of how to include them in ways that are appropriate. Besides bringing them up, here are some of the things that we have done or talked about with the so far.
- Talked about what part of Bennett’s body (his liver) has “yucky stuff” growing on it
- Talked about how there are lots of different doctors that are going to help Bennett…and that it could take a long time
- Showed them on a map where Memphis is in relation to Lafayette and family back in Texas
- Talk through our schedule with them a lot so they know what the next several days will look like
- Talk on FaceTime as much as we can and let them see our room, the hotel and the hospital
I’m sure there will be points along this journey that Davis and Reide will get tired of being apart as a family, but our prayer is that God will fill in the gaps created by this with grace and love. And that’s exactly what we experienced this weekend so far. Here are some pics of our great weekend together.
One of our favorite quotes of the weekend was Friday night when Ben was helping put the kids to bed at their hotel with his parents.
Davis – “Daddy, I’ve got an idea! When we are ready for bed…I’ve got lots of songs I want to sing and I’m sure Reide does too. We should have a song party!!”
Ben – “It’s too late, buddy…we are going to bed. We’re not going to do anything that has the word “party” in it.”
Davis – “What about a fest? That’s smaller than a party but still fun.”
Thanks for praying for our family! We will be posting some specific prayer requests tomorrow as we get closer to Bennett’s biopsy on Monday.